The Finch Hatton War Memorial was erected on 19 November 1921, and it is possible that it may never have been officially unveiled. It was erected at a cost of 200 which was paid for by public subscription. The stone memorial was designed and produced by Melrose and Fenwick of Mackay and honours the 16 local men who fell in the First World War. Later additions honour the 7 who fell in the Second World War.
The erection of the memorial was made possible through the combined efforts of two towns; Finch Hatton and Netherdale.
Finch Hatton’s main street where the monument is located is itself a war memorial: Anzac Parade. It is planted on both sides with mostly Mango trees (Mangifera indica) and some Silky Oaks (Grevillea robusta) in memory of fallen soldiers.
Details of the significant trees were recorded in Mackay Regional Council’s SIGNIFICANT TREE REGISTER published 2012.
Can you help to find out more?
Does the avenue/commemoration planting still exist?
Who is commemorated? (if known).
CLICK HERE to tell us more.