All South Australia

  • Mylor War Memorial

    The War Memorial Site The Mylor War Memorial was originally established to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action in WW1 and unveiled on Saturday 25th February 1922. Exhibiting the same post WW1 resolve and community spirit of earlier generations, inspired by the Mylor History Group Read more [...]

  • Mylor Avenue of Honour

    This  Avenue of Honour, consisting of 11 Oak trees, was planted in the 1920s in memory of the 11 men from Mylor who gave their lives in the service of Australia in Word War 1. The loss of these fine young men would have had a huge impact on the Read more [...]

  • Goodwood Oval Memorial Trees

    Goodwood Oval, previously known as Goodwood Recreation Ground, has had many separate tree-plantings over the years to commemorate soldiers who served in World War One and World War Two. On different occasions, trees were planted by local school children, Druids, and the Forestville Hockey Club. The first planting of memorial Read more [...]

  • Addison Road, Hove

    Norfolk Island Pines (Araucaria heterophylla) were the species of choice, in the establishment of the Addison Road, Hove, Trees of Tribute honour avenue for WW2 servicemen from the Glenelg, Brighton and Marion districts.  The trees were presumably planted sometime in late August/early September 1941, after initial arrangements for the planting Read more [...]

  • Mount Pleasant School Memorial Trees

    On Friday 30 July 1915, three trees were planted at the Mount Pleasant School by “Mr. Thomson, Mr. Tamblyn (head teacher), and Miss Stibbles (assistant teacher), in memory of two old scholars—Privates A. H. Bax and E. H. Jenzen—and General Birdwood, who were killed with the Australians on the Gallipoli Read more [...]

  • Monteith Trees of Tribute

    On Arbor Day, July 1944, Trees of Tribute were planted alongside the Monteith Institute, in Monteith, South Australia, by the school and institute committee “for all the airmen and soldiers enlisted from the settlement” in World War Two. (“News From Rural Centres” The Advertiser, 22 July 1941, p. 5. <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article45015295>) Can Read more [...]

  • Belvidere Memorial Grove

    Sixteen Aleppo Pines were planted at Belvidere, at the junction of Milang and Langhorne Creek Roads, on Saturday the 1st of July, 1944, in honour of the local men who served in World War Two. The relatives of the men planted the trees and shared afternoon tea in the Belvidere Read more [...]

  • Renmark Avenue of Honour

    After public calls for donations towards the cost of palm trees, an avenue of Washingtonia filifera (Cotton Palm) was planted on 11th September 1915, along the banks of the Murray River adjacent to Murray Avenue. “The dual purpose of the tree was to beautify the town and commemorate the brave Read more [...]

  • Maitland

      Can you help to find out more? Does the avenue/commemoration planting still exist? If so, where is the precise location? What is commemorated? eg. WW1, WW2 etc. Who is commemorated? (if known). CLICK HERE to tell us more.

  • Wallaroo Soldiers’ Memorial Avenue

    The Wallaroo Soldiers’ Memorial Avenue on Alford Road was established on Saturday 5 August 1944. This was located on Alford Road, Wallaroo, in South Australia. In September 1943, Mr H. A. Wellbey gained Council approval for a tree planting scheme, which would be undertaken by the Wallaroo R.S.A. and Fathers’ Read more [...]