In 1940 ‘Trees of Tribute’ were planted in Port MacDonnell to commemorate “every man who enlists on active service”. The park was officially opened by the Member for the district, Mr J Fletcher, on September 2 1940 (1940 ‘”TREES OF TRIBUTE” AT PORT MACDONNELL’, Border Watch, 3 September, p. 2.).
In 2003 the Grant Council removed the remaining 11 Norfolk Pines stating they were a “safety hazard and nuisance” (6 June 2003, Council to Remove Trees Tribute, ABC News).
The Port MacDonnell Memorial walk consists of a single sided row of trees and is now located at Sea Parade, Port MacDonnell, South Australia, to commemorate the local men who served in WW2. The trees have individual plaques and the sign marking the beginning of the walk reads, “District Council of Grant – Memorial Walk – The plaques beneath these trees are dedicated to the memory of men from this District who died at sea, on land, in the air and as prisoners of war during World War Two.”
More information and photographs can be found at the Virtual War Memorial of Australia.
Can you help to find out more?
Does the avenue/commemoration planting still exist?
Who is commemorated? (if known).
CLICK HERE to tell us more.