Tag: World War 2

  • Monteith Trees of Tribute

    On Arbor Day, July 1944, Trees of Tribute were planted alongside the Monteith Institute, in Monteith, South Australia, by the school and institute committee “for all the airmen and soldiers enlisted from the settlement” in World War Two. (“News From Rural Centres” The Advertiser, 22 July 1941, p. 5. <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article45015295>) Can Read more [...]

  • Belvidere Memorial Grove

    Sixteen Aleppo Pines were planted at Belvidere, at the junction of Milang and Langhorne Creek Roads, on Saturday the 1st of July, 1944, in honour of the local men who served in World War Two. The relatives of the men planted the trees and shared afternoon tea in the Belvidere Read more [...]

  • Port MacDonnell

    In 1940 ‘Trees of Tribute’ were planted in Port MacDonnell to commemorate “every man who enlists on active service”. The park was officially opened by the Member for the district, Mr J Fletcher, on September 2 1940 (1940 ‘”TREES OF TRIBUTE” AT PORT MACDONNELL’, Border Watch, 3 September, p. 2.). Read more [...]

  • Tea Tree Gully Memorial Drive

    The Tea Tree Gully Memorial Drive was opened in January 1950 by Premier Thomas Playford to commemorate the local people who served in World War One and World War Two (“Premier opens Gully memorial” The Mail, 28 January 1950, p. 41). This avenue of honour was planted with a double row Read more [...]

  • Urrbrae Avenue of Honour

    The Urrbrae Avenue of Honour was established to commemorate World War One. This Avenue of Honour is a single row of Bhutan Cypress trees located in the Urrbrae Agricultural High School grounds, at Cross Road, in Urrbrae, South Australia.In 1951 the trees were transplanted to current location along the internal Read more [...]

  • Stanley Flat Trees of Tribute

    At 2.30pm on Friday the 30th of August 1940, the Stanley Flat Trees of Tribute were planted to commemorate the local men who served in World War Two. The Avenue was planted with Claret Ash trees and various shrubs, and is located along Stradbrooke Road, Stanley Flat, in South Australia. Read more [...]

  • Mount Barker Soldiers Memorial Avenue

    The Mount Barker Soldiers Memorial Avenue was established on the 1st of July 1920 to commemorate the local people who served in World War One. This was located on Wellington Road, Mount Barker, in South Australia.The Avenue now exists as a new planting of Magnolia trees along the linear trail Read more [...]

  • Nunji Trees of Tribute, Nunjikompita

    The Nunji Trees of Tribute was planted on the 16th of August 1941 to commemorate the local soldiers serving in World War Two. This is located Nunji Siding, Nungi Road, Nunjikompita, in South Australia. The following excerpt is from the West Coast Sentinal newspaper, “NUNJI TREES OF TRIBUTE” (12 September Read more [...]

  • Mantung Avenue of Honour

    The Mantung Avenue of Honour commemorates the local people from Mantung, Mercunda, and Maggea districts who served their country and is located on Clark Street, Mantung, in South Australia. The Avenue was unveiled on the 25th of April 2015.  Each pine tree is dedicated to an individual with a plaque Read more [...]

  • Minnipa Avenue of Honour

    The Minnipa Avenue of Honour was established on the 20th August 1940 to commemorate the local people who served in World War Two. This is located on Clive Street in Minnipa, South Australia. “Following the planting of a dozen trees in the various streets, a tree presented by Mrs. G. Read more [...]