In 1918, local school students helped to plant Monterey Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa) trees, extending about 300m along both sides of the Stawell-Avoca Road, to establish the original Tanwood Avenue of Honour, commemorating the service and sacrifice of local WW1 soldiers.
A century later, suffering drought conditions and the spread of cypress canker (a fungal disease), most trees were dead or in poor condition, leaving an unpleasant scar on the landscape.
The Pyrenees Shire secured a grant from the Federal Government, to undertake restoration works including removal of all Cypress trees and replanting with Red Flowering gums (Corymbia “Wildfire”).
Adjacent to newly-installed seating facilities, a stone bears a plaque displaying the names of those who served in WW1 and WW2.
As when the original Avenue was planted in 1918, this new ‘infant’ avenue will gradually mature, providing a living legacy for more generations to come; the trees continuing to honour those who served, sacrificed and suffered, with distinction and dignity.