The Memorial Park was established after land was purchased in 1920, specific to honour those killed in service or in action during WW1. As a dedicated ‘Fallen Solders Memorial Park Avenue of Honour’, 28 trees were planted by family and friends, on 30th July 1921 to commemorate 28 soldiers from the district. Original plaques were placed at the base of each tree.
Whilst not all original trees remain, a number of survivors are now significant trees, including Camphor Laurels (Cinnamomum camphora) and the Queensland Brush Box (Lophostemon confertus)
Located at the corner of Jull Street and Orchard Avenue, Armadale, the Park now has an amphitheatre setting, with a series of terraces leading up to the Armadale Central Shopping Centre.
The focal, red brick obelisk, is surrounded by a curved stone wall, adorned with small brass plaques, representative of the 28 soldiers commemorated by the original trees.
Originally erected in 1916, at the intersection of Fourth Road and Eleventh Avenue near the Armadale Railway Station footbridge, the obelisk was eventually relocated to the Soldiers Memorial Park in 1959, after 3 decades of petitioning by the RSL. READ MORE >